All about Labiaplasty and its treatment
Your vulva has two folds of skin. The inner lips or skin folds are known as labia minora, while the outer skin fold is called the labia majora. Some women have oversized labia. An oversized labia is an issue of concern for millions of women globally. Some women feel embarrassed in the presence of their sexual partners. Others are anxious about wearing leggings or a bathing suit because the oversized labia might protrude. Thankfully, this can be corrected through a surgical procedure known as labiaplasty.
A physical examination by your doctor may be sufficient to diagnose an enlarged labia minora.
Labiaplasty seeks to reduce the labia minora, thereby restoring the lost symmetry with the labia majora. During this procedure, excess tissues around your labia minora are surgically removed. This reduces the size of your labia minora. Some of the reasons why a woman may opt for labiaplasty is to improve personal hygiene, reduce discomfort, and for cosmetic appearance. Due to advances in medical technology, labia minora reduction can also be accomplished by a laser procedure, which is faster and less invasive than a surgical procedure.
What can cause an enlarged or protruding labia?
It is not very clear what leads to an enlarged or protruding labia. However, some of the possible causes include:
- Genetics: Some women are born with an enlarged labia
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the flow of blood to your genital area increases significantly. This can cause a pressure build-up, thereby resulting in a feeling of heaviness
- Sex hormones: During puberty, there is an increase in female hormones like estrogen. These hormones are responsible for female sexual development, including the growth of labia minora.
- Age: As you advance in age, the skin around your vagina loses its elasticity and this might predispose the development of labia minora.
- Menopause: After you have attained menopause, there is a decrease in the rate of production of progesterone, estrogen, and other female hormones. After menopause, the ovarian function comes to an end. Consequently, the skin around your vagina sags as it becomes looser and thinner. The labia is also likely to loosen.
Other less common factors that may induce an enlarged or protruding labia include trauma to your vulva or infection. Sexually transmitted infections do not cause an enlarged labia minora, and neither does masturbation.
Reasons for getting a labiaplasty
The majority of the clients who request a labiaplasty are mature women who wish to improve their aesthetic appearance by attaining the symmetry of their labia. However, in special cases, young girls even below thirteen may also undergo the procedure, especially if they feel discomfort while engaging in their normal activities.
Other women might present with enlarged labia after undergoing hormone treatment, having multiple births, or due to advancing age. Regardless of the cause of an enlarged labia some of the main reasons why a woman may feel compelled to get a labiaplasty include:
Sexual reasons : Women with protruding labia minora tend to be self-conscious. This is likely to affect their sexual life. For example, they might have a hard time reaching orgasm, while others may feel pain during intercourse. Therefore, a protruding labia minora stands in the way enjoying intimacy with their partners.
Physical discomfort: When you have an enlarged labia minora, it might trigger skin friction while walking or running. Such persistent skin rubbing can be very irritating to the skin, resulting in hygiene issues. Moreover, an enlarged labia minora can lead to infections.
Inability to perform physical activities: If you have a protruding and enlarged labia minora, you may have a hard time taking part in certain activities. This is because an enlarged labia can get inflamed and tender due to friction. This may happen, for example, while riding a bike. In case of a protruding labia minora, you may also have difficulties taking a hike.
Psychological effects: An enlarged or protruding labia minora can be the source of distress. You may have low self-esteem if you get conscious of the protruding labia minora, especially when you wear swimsuits. This may negatively impact your self-confidence as you cannot freely participate in certain physical activities. Additionally, the distress due to an enlarged labia minora can hamper your ability to form intimate relationships.
Discomfort in wearing certain clothes: An enlarged labia minora makes it extremely difficult for you to wear certain types of clothing. For example, you may not wear tight jeans or bathing suits. This is because wearing such clothes creates a visible bulge which can be embarrassing
What does a labiaplasty procedure entail?
The procedure involves minimizing the appearance and size of the labia minora, through surgical means. Additionally, the surgeon will also have to reduce the labia majora (this is the outer lips of your vagina) by trimming it or injecting it with fat. The goal is to attain the symmetry of your labia. The procedure will involve either general or local anesthesia, depending on the advice of the surgeon. A labiaplasty takes about 1 hour. Most women are often discharged a few hours after the procedure.
There are two main techniques that your surgeon might settle for while performing a labiaplasty:
- Wedge labiaplasty: Here, your surgeon seeks to trim any excess tissues on your labia. The trimming is done in such a manner as to preserve the edges of the labia. This effectively forms a wedge shape and hence the name, wedge labiaplasty.
- Trim labiaplasty: In this technique, the surgeon uses scissors or a scalpel to trim the edges of your labia minora. The procedure is shorter in comparison with wedge labiaplasty. However, this might result in an irregular scar along the edges of your labia minora. It may also lead to a long scar that can be a source of discomfort.
Laser labiaplasty: The traditional labiaplasty involves trimming the excess labial tissues, followed by suturing, A surgical clamp aids in clamping the excess labial tissues. However, the delicate labial tissues might get crushed while suturing. This might delay healing. There is also a risk of increased scarring. Thankfully, these risks can be overcome with laser labiaplasty. The procedure involves making a tiny incision into the labia using laser energy.
What are the benefits of a labiaplasty?
The benefits of labiaplasty are as follows:
- Increased confidence: The vast majority with an enlarged or oversized labia also suffer from low self-confidence and self-esteem. They are embarrassed about wearing certain clothing, such as tight jeans or a bikini. At times, getting intimate with their partners can be quite agonizing, as they are overly conscious of the appearance of their labia minora. A labiaplasty would help to restore the lost self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Enhanced sexual pleasure: Low self-esteem and self-confidence can have a negative impact on your sexual life. Moreover, an enlarged labia minora can lead to discomfort during intercourse as the tissue gets caught or dragged. Trimming of this enlarged tissue will not only take away such discomfort but also enhance your sexual confidence. Consequently, you are more likely to find sexual activity both comfortable and enjoyable.
- Improved health and hygiene: Women who have an enlarged labia minora are at a higher risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs). This is because the extra tissue acts as a conduit for bacteria. Moreover, it becomes hard to maintain hygiene with an enlarged labia. Consequently, a labiaplasty greatly minimizes your risk of contracting UTIs, thereby improving your overall health.
- Increased comfort in clothing: Having a protruding or enlarged labia means that you cannot wear certain clothing comfortably. A labiaplasty would help overcome this problem. More importantly, the procedure allows you to feel comfortable in any kind of clothing without having to worry about any visible bulges or lines.
How do you prepare for a laser labiaplasty?
During your consultation with the plastic surgeon, your medical history is recorded. The surgeon will also undertake a physical examination of your labia. It is important during such consultation to let your surgeon know of any medication that you are taking. For individuals who might be on blood-thinning medication, your surgeon may advise you to stop taking them. This helps avoid complications, such as bleeding.
If you are a smoker, it is also advisable to stop the habit a few weeks before the procedure. This is because nicotine hinders blood circulation. It also hampers the healing process. On the day of the procedure, we will make arrangements for one of our hospital vans to pick you up from home. We will also assist you with the paperwork that is needed before the procedure. Your surgeon with take you through the procedure, including informing you of the benefits of a laser labiaplasty, and possible risks, and complications.
Post-op care and diet
Your labia minora may appear symmetrical and small immediately after the procedure. This may be followed by discomfort and swelling in the next 2-3 days. Itching is common after the procedure, at least during the first 7 days after the procedure. After laser labiaplasty, we will place you in a recovery room for further observation. This might take one or two hours. Once your surgeon has ascertained that you have had sufficient rest, he will allow you to go home. We will make arrangements for your transport back home We also make sure that there is a responsible adult to take care of you.
Some of the post-op care guidelines are as follows:
- Do not touch the wound during the recovery period. The itching and pain will reduce in a week
- Do not engage in any strenuous activities that may necessitate stretching the wound. This might increase the risk of infection
- Avoid wearing any tight clothing
- Do not use tampons
- Do not have any sexual intercourse for 4 weeks after the surgery
Labiaplasty, also known as vulva surgery, is a cosmetic procedure to reduce the size of the labia minora. The skin folds are located at the inner side of the female genitalia.
Labiaplasty is a cosmetic surgery and should not be performed on girls below the age of 18 as they are still in their puberty and the labia is developing. Labiaplasty is an aesthetic surgery and there are many hospitals in Bangalore that offer this procedure. If you are in Bangalore and looking for a reputed surgeon, you may call us at goficure.
- At goficure, we provide specialized healthcare services for people residing in Bangalore. If you want to have labiaplasty, but are still unsure about your decision, you may contact us at goficure.
- Our online healthcare providers will explain to you everything about the procedure.
- You may also talk to our online counselors or psychiatrists.
- Our support staff can also connect you to some of the best doctors and surgeons in Bangalore.
- Labiaplasty is not a risk-free surgery and is quite expensive too. Our support staff can give you assistance regarding insurance and budget with respect to surgery and hospital care.
- If you have decided to have labiaplasty, our team will help you connect to the best hospitals and even independent clinics in Bangalore.
We assure you of safe treatment and hospital care. We will be happy to help.
Exclusive features you get with goficure
1. Dedicated Medi-Pal
A dedicated Medi-Pal is assigned to you. Your Medi-Pal will be your one point contact throughout the treatment and post-op period. They will always be available for you
2. Quick doctor’s appointments
After understanding your concerns, your Medi-Pal will schedule your consultation with a specialist doctor. Your doctor will carry out necessary tests and advise the course of treatment
3. Hassle-free treatment
If you opt to get the surgery done, goficure will take care of it completely. Right from booking your surgery, claiming your insurance to being with you throughout the procedure, your Medi-Pal will do it all
4. Post-op recovery support
Your Medi-Pal would ensure quick recovery. This includes booking your follow up consultations and helping you with doctor-recommended steps for diet & exercise
Smooth and hassle-free
Choosing to get your treatment done with us would rid you of major and minor inconveniences alike. Whether it be...
We work with specialist doctors with several years of experience in diagnosing and treating...
Your doctor will explain to you in detail about your condition and if there is a chance of developing...
Life is precious. Each day lost in sickness can't be relived. It's time to shed inhibitions and...
Safe and reliable
All our treatments and procedures are not just quick and provide immediate relief, but they are also...
The difference between a typical hospital and us is that we understand that your treatment is not all about...
Your doctor will diagnose you appropriately and transparently. Rest assured, our aim is to ensure...
Our aim is to shorten your treatment and healing time and make it a fraction of the time...
Our doctors are vetted for their experience and skills. Rest assured, you are in safe hands. The best treatment for your condition is delivered all the time
A dedicated Medi-Pal is assigned to take care of the entire process. This includes booking your appointments, scheduling the surgery, handling your documentation including claiming insurance, discharge, and post-op recovery
Goficure delivers high-quality treatment to you at affordable prices. Superior treatment and best quality of service is assured while keeping costs reasonable
Post procedure care and follow-ups
Our engagement doesn't end after your surgery. It continue until you go back to your normal life. Free diet and exercise consultations during your recovery phase are offered to ensure a quick recovery